What is a WiFi module ESP8266 ?
- A WiFi module ESP8266 is a microcontroller made by Espressif.
It is loaded with features. The most important being wi-fi protocol. The best part is that they are dirt cheap and more powerful than an Arduino.
- The wifi module ESP8266 is an extremely cost-effective board with a huge, and ever-growing, community.
- The ESP8266 WiFi Module with SOC with integrated TCP/IP protocol stack, this protocol stack allows the microcontroller connects to Wi-Fi.
- The ESP8266 is capable of an act as a server i.e. hosting an application or client, a client will receive all Wi-Fi networking functions from another processor.
- ESP 8266 compatible with Arduino board, you can program ESP using ARDUINO IDE, popular as WiFi module for Arduino.
- Each ESP8266 module comes with pre-programmed an AT command set firmware.
- ESP 8266 available from esp-01 module to esp-12e module.
- More common module are esp-07 and esp-12e.
ESP 8266 can be used in following applications
Use of ESP 8266 wifi module
- Home Appliances
- Home Automation
- Smart Plugs and Lights
- Mesh Network Industrial Wireless Control
- Baby Monitors
- IP Cameras Sensor Networks
- Wearable Electronics
- Wi-Fi Location-aware Devices
- Security ID Tags
- Wi-Fi Position System Beacons
- Wifi module for Arduino board
- 802.11 b/g/n
- Wi-Fi Direct (P2P), soft-AP
- Integrated TCP/IP protocol stack
- Integrated TR switch, balun, LNA, power amplifier and matching network
- Integrated PLLs, regulators, DCXO and power management units
- +19.5dBm output power in 802.11b mode
- Power down leakage current of <10uA
- 1MB Flash Memory
- Integrated low power 32-bit CPU could be used as application processor
- SDIO 1.1 / 2.0, SPI, UART
- STBC, 1×1 MIMO, 2×1 MIMO
- A-MPDU & A-MSDU aggregation & 0.4ms guard interval
- Wake up and transmit packets in < 2ms
- Standby power consumption of < 1.0mW (DTIM3)
- Power 3.3 v
ESP 8266 wi-fi module Specification
- Standards FCC/CE/TELEC/SRRC
- Protocols 11 b/g/n/e/i
- Frequency Range 2.4G ~ 2.5G (2400M ~ 2483.5M)
- CPU Tensilica L106 32-bit micro-controller
- Peripheral Interface UART/SDIO/SPI/I2C/I2S/IR Remote Control
- GPIO/ADC/PWM/LED Light & Button
- Operating Voltage 3.0V ~ 3.6V
- Operating Current Average value: 80 mA
- Operating Temperature Range -40°C ~ 125°C
- Storage Temperature Range -40°C ~ 125°C
- Wi-Fi Mode Station/softAP/SoftAP+station
- Security WPA/WPA2
- Encryption WEP/TKIP/AES
- Firmware Upgrade UART Download / OTA (via network)
- Software Development Supports Cloud Server Development / Firmware and SDK for fast on-chip programming
- Network Protocols IPv4, TCP/UDP/HTTP/FTP
- User Configuration AT Instruction Set, Cloud Server, Android/iOS App
ESP8266 WiFi module Datasheet and Documents for detail study
Let us know what you think about ESP8266 WiFi module for Arduino in the comment section below.
Featured Image credit: Espruino