IoT solution contains Sensor, gateway, cloud, web/Mobile.
Sensor: Sensors senses data from physical world and send for processing.
Gateway: process and collect the data from sensor nodes and transmitting it to the internet infrastructure
Cloud/ Data center: The data transmitted through gateway is stored & processed securely within the cloud server i.e. in data center.
Web/Mobile: through application user can view data in the form of graph, bar and chart forms.
More details of IoT solution find here.
In this article , we go through details about following things
- What is an IoT Gateway?
- Why we need IoT Gateway?
What is an IoT Gateway?
A gateway is a network node that connects two networks using different protocols together. a gateway is used to join two dissimilar networks. While a bridge is used to join two similar types of networks,
The most common gateway is a router that connects a home or enterprise network to the internet.
There are different types of gateways like
Cloud storage gateway, Media gateway, Amazon API gateway, IoT gateway, etc
Here we go with IoT gateway.
IoT gateway – aggregates sensor data, translates between sensor protocols, processes sensor data before sending it onward and more.
It fills the communication gap between sensors/actuators and cloud.
By systematically connecting the field and the cloud, IoT gateway offer
- local processing and storage solutions
- the ability to autonomously control field devices based on data input by sensors.
Examples of gateways available in market
Why we need IoT Gateway?
You may have thought that “why we need IoT Gateway ?” , “is there any key reason behind using gateway? Let me shed some light on this issue by discussing some of the most important aspects about IoT gateway.
We know, usually sensors have very limited capabilities in terms of networking connectivity. Sensors can likely utilize Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), ZigBee, WiFi, LoRaWAN, Sigfox, Cellular, etc. as a communication protocol.
All of these protocols can’t connect directly to larger networks like Internet or Wide Area Network (WAN).
We need a gateway
- For providing sensors with a single point of contact with external networks by using different type of connectivity like WiFi, GSM, or some other.
- it act as network node that connects two networks using two different protocols together
Following are key reasons to use IoT Gateway in IoT Ecosystem
- Bridging the Gap between Operation and IT Infrastructure (Data Center)
- Adding a Layer of Security
- Real-Time Updates within the Field
- High scalability– they’re ready to take intelligent knowledge from the data center or cloud and push into the sphere or network edge.
- Lowering prices – end-point devices needn’t have as high process power, memory or storage since the entranceway will this all for them.
- Faster Production – AN accelerated and a lot of advanced assembly line will decrease time-to-market considerably.
- Reduce Telecommunications value – low M2M communication suggests that a smaller network and (WAN) traffic.
- Mitigate Risks – gateways will separate or isolate devices and sensors that aren’t acting before they cause larger issues for the assembly line.
In Next article we will know about about Architectural details of IoT Gateway.
Featured Image Credit: mddawdy/Pixabay