Last Updated on
What is BeagleBone Black?
BeagleBone Black is a low-cost, community-supported development platform for developers and hobbyists. The BeagleBone Black is the newest member of the BeagleBoard family. Boot Linux in under 10 seconds and get started on development in less than 5 minutes with just a single USB cable.
This is board is very useful in developing IoT applications.
This is Open source Hardware , BeagleBone Black is great for design engineers to prototype with and then modify for their specific application , if we compare with Raspberry Pi board.
Image credit: elinux.org
Processor: AM335x 1GHz ARM® Cortex-A8
It is a lower-cost, high-expansion focused BeagleBoard using a low cost Sitara XAM3359AZCZ100 Cortex A8 ARM processor from Texas Instruments.
- 512MB DDR3 RAM
- 4GB 8-bit eMMC on-board flash storage
- 3D graphics accelerator
- NEON floating-point accelerator
- 2x PRU 32-bit microcontrollers
- Cloud9 IDE on Node.js w/ BoneScript library
- plus much more
- USB client for power & communications
- USB host
- 2x 46 pin headers
Specifications of BeagleBone Black
|Product Category||Single Board Computers|
|Processor Brand||Texas Instruments|
|Processor Type||TI AM3358BZCZ100|
|Memory Size||4 GB|
|Interface Type||Ethernet, HDMI, I2C, UART, USB|
|Operating Supply Voltage||5 V|
|Cache Memory||512 MB|
|Core:||ARM Cortex A8|
|Audio||via HDMI interface, Sterio|
BeagleBone Black vs BeagleBone
It is similar to the Beaglebone,but with some features removed and some features added.
|Processor||AM3358BZCZ100, 1GHz||AM3358, 720MHZ|
|DRAM||512MB DDR3L 800MHZ||256MB DDR2|
|Flash||4GB eMMC onboard, uSD||uSD|
|Serial Interface||Header||Via USB|
- Sitara AM3358BZCZ100ARM Cortex-A8 32-Bit RISC microprocessor, up to 1GHz
- On-board HDMI to connect directly to TVs and monitors
- More and faster memory now with 512MB DDR3L 400MHz SDRAM, 4GB eMMC Memory
- On-board storage frees up the microSD card slot for greater expansion
- Support for existing Cape plug-in boards
- TPS65217C PMIC regulator and one additional LDO
- Debug support: Optional onboard 20-pin CTI JTAG
- HS USB 2.0 Client and Host ports
- Serial port: UART0 access via 6-pin 3.3V TTL header
- 10/100 RJ45 Ethernet
- Linux Debian Distribution flashed to the eMMC (no longer Angstrom)
All Projects did with BeagleBone ,can also do with BeagleBone Black . You can develop many IoT applications using BeagleBone Black .
- Home Automation
- Temperature & Humidity measurement,
- Network Monitoring Device
- Android on BleagleBone Black
Featured Image credit: elinux.org