Introduction to BeagleBone Black (Beaglebone Black Tutorial)
BeagleBone Black is a low-cost, community-supported development platform for developers and hobbyists. The Beagle Black board is the newest member of the BeagleBoard family.
Boot Linux in under 10 seconds and get started on development in less than 5 minutes with just a single USB cable.
This is board is very useful in developing IoT applications.
Image credit: elinux.org
Processor: AM335x 1GHz ARM® Cortex-A8
It is a lower-cost, high-expansion focused BeagleBoard using a low-cost Sitara XAM3359AZCZ100 Cortex A8 ARM processor from Texas Instruments.
- 512MB DDR3 RAM
- 4GB 8-bit eMMC onboard flash storage
- 3D graphics accelerator
- NEON floating-point accelerator
- 2x PRU 32-bit microcontrollers
- Cloud9 IDE on Node.js w/ BoneScript library
- plus much more
- USB client for power & communications
- USB host
- 2x 46 pin headers
Specifications of Beagle Bone Black
|Product Category||Single Board Computers|
|Processor Brand||Texas Instruments|
|Processor Type||TI AM3358BZCZ100|
|Memory Size||4 GB|
|Interface Type||Ethernet, HDMI, I2C, UART, USB|
|Operating Supply Voltage||5 V|
|Cache Memory||512 MB|
|Core:||ARM Cortex A8|
|Audio||via HDMI interface, Sterio|
Beagle Bone Black vs BeagleBone
It is similar to the Beaglebone, but with some features removed and some features added.
|Processor||AM3358BZCZ100, 1GHz||AM3358, 720MHZ|
|DRAM||512MB DDR3L 800MHZ||256MB DDR2|
|Flash||4GB eMMC onboard, uSD||uSD|
|Serial Interface||Header||Via USB|
Beaglebone black features:
- Sitara AM3358BZCZ100ARM Cortex-A8 32-Bit RISC microprocessor, up to 1GHz
- On-board HDMI to connect directly to TVs and monitors
- More and faster memory now with 512MB DDR3L 400MHz SDRAM, 4GB eMMC Memory
- On-board storage frees up the microSD card slot for greater expansion
- Support for existing Cape plug-in boards
- TPS65217C PMIC regulator and one additional LDO
- Debug support: Optional Onboard 20-pin CTI JTAG
- HS USB 2.0 Client and Host ports
- Serial port: UART0 access via 6-pin 3.3V TTL header
- 10/100 RJ45 Ethernet
- Linux Debian Distribution flashed to the eMMC (no longer Angstrom)
All Projects did with BeagleBone, can also do with Beagle Bone Black. You can develop many IoT applications using Beagle Black board.
- Home Automation
- Temperature & Humidity measurement,
- Network Monitoring Device
- Android on BleagleBone Black
Let us know what you think about the Beaglebone Black tutorial in the comment section below.
Featured Image credit: elinux.org